Von: devel@... <devel@...> Im Auftrag von Paccapeli, Roberto
Gesendet: Dienstag, 13. Oktober 2020 23:05
An: devel@...
Betreff: [ELISA Technical Community] Embedded World - Call for Papers

Hi all,

Embedded World is scheduled as a face-to-face/physical event to be held in Nuremberg, Germany, March 2-4, 2021.
See https://events.weka-fachmedien.de/embedded-world-conference/home/

One of our Intel contact points has confirmed that, even if the Deadline Call for papers ended Sep 30th, we have the possibility to submit proposals within the e/o this week and to have the flexibility to join physically or virtually to the event.

I know this is short notice, but if ELISA wants to submit any ‘Call for Papers’ Abstracts – we need to send our proposal within the e/o this Friday, Oct 16th .
If it is reasonable for you, I have already prepared a draft (see below).

<< In recent years, the increasing amount of flexible and complex functionalities has contributed to increasing demand of electronics usage for the monitoring and control of electromechanical process. Novel microcontroller units (MCU) are conceived by reducing the chip size and computational cost, along with
[JK: should be "guaranteeing"]
guarantee the high fault-tolerance of the overall system. ISO 26262 and IEC 61508, the international norms ruling the functional safety of electronic products for automotive and industrial sectors, defi ne the functional safety requirements in the automotive and industrial fields divided in four discrete classes called “Safety Integrity Levels” (SILs).

Especially for Software, ISO 26262 and IEC 61508 impose strict lifecycle process requirements and architectural constraints to be considered for ensuring the avoidance of systematic failures. Unfortunately, both norms do not provide any indication about how to handle open source designs Furthermore, they do not include any guidelines on the application of safety standard requirements for that SW components not explicitly conceived for Functional Safety purpose (as done for example in ISO 26262-11 for HW components to support semiconductor companies).
[JK: I think Part 11 should be left out of this, since it has no direct relation and its interpretation videly varies within ELISA]

Because there is no clear method, one of the main effects is that Linux kernel cannot be assessed / certified as “standalone” SW component due to the nature of open-source design development process. On the other hand,
[JK "the" is missing]

Linux community cannot be forced to adopt all stringent requirements just to be in compliance with one or more normative standards.

The present work presents the activities of Enabling Linux in Safety Applications (ELISA) open source project sponsored by the Linux Foundation for creating a shared set of tools and processes to help companies
[JK: to build and certify / with building and certifying]

on building and certifying Linux-based safety-critical applications and systems.
Since the final “end-users” are responsible to demonstrate that their products meets strict safety targets, all activities of ELISA are based on leveraging the existing capabilities in the Linux communities and on checking the implemented features on Linux that can be re-usable for Functional Safety application. The final goal is to make suitable a set of documentation,
[JK: to channel my inner John: needs to be "evidence", the plural form of the word does not exists!]

evidences / argumentations, processes and tools without losing the cornerstone of IEC 61508 and ISO 26262 (or in contrast with its clauses) and to identify the appropriate combination of elements (i.e. elements already designed paired with newly developed simple ones responsible to perform the safety function) against the “target” safety claim.

The main benefit is that any potential gaps identified by
[JK: "the" is missing]
ELISA community are addressed by
[JK: "a" is missing]
specific set of requirements (called assumptions of use) that the final end-user can directly consider during the integration phase reducing strongly the effort compared to the classic application of standard normative, as mentioned above.
The possible usage contexts considered in ELISA are robotic devices, medical devices, smart factories, transportation systems and autonomous driving using Linux.

Information about ELISA are available here: https://elisa.tech/ >>

Of course, feel free to share your comments or to propose changes on the text.
..And if any “volunteers” that want to be authors with me are welcome!! 😊

PS in case of additional text, please consider the abstract must be limited to 1000 characters.
PSS if you want to be authors with me, please consider that we need to send a short bio-data (the nr of characters is limited to 500).

Thanks,

Roberto Paccapeli
Functional Safety Manager | IOTG PMCE FSS

D +39 050.782.0014 | M +39 339.589.2630
Via Lenin 132/p | S. Giuliano Terme, Italy, 56017
Intel Corporation | intel.com

INTEL CORPORATION ITALIA S.p.A. con unico socio
Sede: Milanofiori Palazzo E 4
CAP 20094 Assago (MI)
Capitale Sociale Euro 104.000,00 interamente versato
Partita I.V.A. e Codice Fiscale 04236760155
Repertorio Economico Amministrativo n. 997124
Registro delle Imprese di Milano nr. 183983/5281/33
Soggetta ad attivita' di direzione e coordinamento di
INTEL CORPORATION, USA

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jochen Kall

--
Dr. rer. nat. Jochen Kall

Funktionale Sicherheit

ITK Engineering GmbH
Im Speyerer Tal 6
76761 Rülzheim

Tel.: +49 7272 7703-546
Fax: +49 7272 7703-100

Mobil:+491734957776

mailto:jochen.kall@... ( jochen.kall@... )

ITK Engineering GmbH | Im Speyerer Tal 6 | 76761 Rülzheim

Tel.: +49 7272 7703-0 | Fax: +49 7272 7703-100

mailto:info@... ( info@... ) | http://www.itk-engineering.de ( http://www.itk-engineering.de/ )

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairman of the Supervisory Board:

Dr. Rudolf Maier

Geschäftsführung/Executive Board:

Michael Englert (Vorsitzender/Chairman), Bernd Gohlicke

Sitz der Gesellschaft/Registered Office: 76761 Rülzheim

Registergericht/Registered Court: Amtsgericht Landau, HRB 32046

USt.-ID-Nr./VAT-ID-No. DE 813165046

Join devel@lists.elisa.tech to automatically receive all group messages.