Re: New WG proposal: Linux Developers

John MacGregor

Hi Elana,

Sorry to go against your grain, but I decided to change the title to split the discussions for the two proposals. Otherwise, I think that the threads will get overly complicated.

For a start...

Call the WG what you want, but I find "Linux Developers" confusing. It could people who develop with Linux or people who develop Linux... or something entirely different. Under Linux I think of the people who contribute to the kernel, such as those listed in the statistics for a release (such as [1]).

I suggest something along the lines "Kernel Features" or "Applying Kernel Features".

The scope of this WG does not in any way include safety qualification or any safety claims on how the integrator can or should use these
features or patches. The only claims that would be made are a
description of the feature and its functional impact. Evidence to
support deployment of any feature in a safety-critical system may be
clarified by work products produced by the other ELISA WGs, focusing
on collaboration as outlined by Paul above.
I think that an independent Elisa WG must directly fulfil the project mission statement [2]. How do you reconcile the mission of the Linux Developers WG with the Elisa mission statement? (BTW, the "amenable to safety certification" comes from me and although the statement is ambiguous through its complexity, the intention is that the project work products, not just the safety-critical systems, be amenable).

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/867540/
[2] https://elisa.tech/wp-content/uploads/sites/75/2020/08/elisa_technical_charter_082620.pdf

Cheers

John

On 14/09/2021 16:40, elana.copperman@... wrote:
Thanks, Paul, for your clear summary of previous discussions.
My added inputs are included below Paul's text.  The proposed name for the new WG remains TBC, I am open to suggestions.
As noted by Paul, this has been extensively discussed in the recent Dev Process WG weekly calls.
My expectation is to announce this new format in the upcoming ELC/LSS conference, as well as in the
next ELISA workshop, thus inviting new members to join and to contribute.
Regards
Elana