Mentorship projects

elana.copperman@...

Hi,

Some time ago I proposed the following 2 mentorship projects:

Following my recent session at the Linux Security Summit (details + link to ppt here), among the many contacts and follow ups I have received requests from 2 excellent applicants (senior PhD students) to work on these 2 projects.

When will you be opening the registration for the next group of mentorship projects?
Details are not yet final, but if it works out – I plan to use the new Linux Features in Safety Critical Systems (LFSCS) workgroup sessions as work sessions for aligning with safety expectations.

Regards

Elana

Min Yu

Hi Elana,

ELISA is aligned with the Linux Foundation mentorship program schedules, which you can find here https://docs.linuxfoundation.org/lfx/mentorship/mentorship-program-timelines. It's too late to post for fall term 2021. We will need to wait for spring term 2022 at the earliest.

From a procedural perspective, the ELISA Governing Board needs to approve a 2022 budget that includes funding for mentorships. If funding is approved for 2022, we will solicit mentorship project proposals from the community for 2022. The TSC will review and approval mentorship project proposals. Then we will post the approved projects/mentors on LFX mentorship https://mentorship.lfx.linuxfoundation.org/ to take mentee applications. Those who are interested in working on the mentorship projects need to apply via https://mentorship.lfx.linuxfoundation.org/.

Min
--
Min Yu
Operations Manager

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 1:55 PM <elana.copperman@...> wrote:

Hi,

Some time ago I proposed the following 2 mentorship projects:

Following my recent session at the Linux Security Summit (details + link to ppt here), among the many contacts and follow ups I have received requests from 2 excellent applicants (senior PhD students) to work on these 2 projects.

When will you be opening the registration for the next group of mentorship projects?
Details are not yet final, but if it works out – I plan to use the new Linux Features in Safety Critical Systems (LFSCS) workgroup sessions as work sessions for aligning with safety expectations.

Regards

Elana

elana.copperman@...

Good to hear that there is good chance for funding.

Regarding following up on these previously approved proposals, this is aligned with the new WG, as well as a real promise of introducing relevant kernel patches – and dealing with the critical questions of how that should happen.  We will deal with that in the TSC.

Thanks