New WG proposal: Systems WG

Ahmann Philipp (XC-CT/PRM1)

Hi ELISA community,

During the ELISA spring workshop Kate and I started the discussion to form a systems WG within ELISA. We have been inspired by discussions with industry partners and OSS community during the last months. What we observe is, that recently in many projects architectural elements are repeating like container technologies, RTOS demands and virtualization. Often these systems are generated by more than one company and typically being connected to the internet and other things. While having all the puzzle pieces in different projects bringing them together in a reproducible form with e.g. proper SBOM generation in mind, is not established in an OSS project so far. However, also the work of ELISA will go into such systems. We will interact with other projects and also need to understand which impact these technologies will have to our use cases and blueprints.

Kate and I have prepared a mission statement and planned first activities for the new group. We now like to share the proposal (see below) with the wider ELISA community for comments, before seeking to formalize the group at the TSC.

Best Regards,

Kate & Philipp

Proposed working group name

Systems WG

Proposed WG chair

--------------------------

Philipp Ahmann

Proposed meeting schedule

-------------------------------------

Weekly on Monday 17:00 CEST (15:00 UTC)

Proposed mission statement

--------------------------------------

The systems work group aims to enable other work groups within ELISA to put their safety claims towards Linux in a wider system context. This is done in form of a reproducible reference system based on real world architectures, implemented fully based on Open-Source technologies.

It encourages interaction with other OSS projects, which either also work on their way of enabling safety use cases with Open-Source software or which plan to make use of open-source mixed-criticality system elements as a base for their product lines.

Planned activities

-----------------------

Our objectives are to:

* Form an umbrella work group, which places individual work group results into a system context to challenge them with real world product architectures.

* To set up a tailorable and reproducible reference system as a playground for ELISA work groups to get a better understanding of the elements and nature of a Linux system needed for the work groups activites

which puts the work of ELISA into a broader context for future use cases and enable to challenge potentials .

* To interact with other communities also dealing with mixed criticality systems and safety in Open Source (e.g. Xen and Zephyr)

* To make indirect demands like software updates, vulnerability management, reproducibility, cloud technologies, legal obligations, and software management visible for the work with Linux in safety critical systems.

As an important remark, we will start with a reference system which is based on Open-Source technology as is. Only a few of the elements, which are part of the system have been developed with considering safety. This means the created system will act as a mock or stimulus environment for mixed criticality Linux based use cases.

Collaboration

------------------

Internal: Although the reference architecture may include elements like hypervisor or container, which have explicitly not been part of ELISA so far, it should enable other WG to show case their work on process, features and tooling with an implementation of a reference system. It can also create ideas due to a better system understanding.

External: With the systems WG we try to touch elements which put the results of the other work group into system context, beyond a particular use case. As a starting point, we will also interact with other open source projects. Currently, we already interact with AGL, Yocto and Xen and are about to extend the use case with work from Zephyr. (The rough idea of potential collaboration partners were already illustrated in the block diagram presented during the ELISA spring workshop [1].

After 3 years of discussions and isolated results in work groups within ELISA, but also in the OSS communities, the systems work group should form a base to bring technologies together and glue the different pieces together.

[1] https://static.sched.com/hosted_files/elisaworkshopspring2022/29/ELISA%20Workshop%20%239%20Is-there-room-for-an-Industrial-IoT-WG_final.pdf

Nicole Pappler

Hi Philipp and Kate,

sorry that I'm not as active as I was in the beginning of ELISA.
But this newly proposed WG sounds fantastic and I hope I will be able to spend some of my bandwidth on it - count me in please!

Cheers,
Nicole

On 2022-05-17 22:05, Ahmann Philipp (XC-CT/PRM1) via lists.elisa.tech wrote:
Hi ELISA community,
[...]
Links:
------
[1] https://static.sched.com/hosted_files/elisaworkshopspring2022/29/ELISA%20Workshop%20%239%20Is-there-room-for-an-Industrial-IoT-WG_final.pdf
[2] https://lists.elisa.tech/g/devel/message/1882
[3] https://lists.elisa.tech/mt/91172190/1788649
[4] https://lists.elisa.tech/g/devel/post
[5] https://lists.elisa.tech/g/devel/editsub/1788649
[6] https://lists.elisa.tech/g/devel/unsub

Kate Stewart

Great!    Delighted to have your input Nicole.

The TSC approved this WG earlier today, so we'll start setting up an email list, formal meeting invite, etc.  We'll add you in, along with the others who have expressed interest.

If others want to be added to the mailing list as we spin it up, please reply here, or let Philipp know you want to be added to the initial list.   Once the mailing list is set up,  people will be able to self subscribe, and we'll post instructions to devel.

Thanks,
Kate

On 2022-05-17 22:05, Ahmann Philipp (XC-CT/PRM1) via lists.elisa.tech